Protect Your Family from Black Mold
Every homeowner dreads black mold, but what is it? Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys) likes to grow in wet areas and is usually found around condensation or pools or standing water inside. Spores enter the home via windows, other entrances or tracked on personal items and clothing. While most molds found in your home are harmless, black mold causes health issues if ignored.
Health Effects of Black Mold
The spores black mold releases are the main culprit behind black mold poisoning. Symptoms include chronic coughing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat and rashes. Other symptoms include chronic fatigue and persistent headaches. Especially severe cases of long-term contact to black mold can be more life threatening. Paired with an an allergy to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
More about Mold
Mold quickly spread across walls, floors and ceilings. Whenever your home suffers water damage, you should have a Paul Davis technician check the walls for mold infestations. They can go unnoticed for weeks, and then spring up essentially overnight.
Once mold produces colonies in your property, it immediately breeds and discharges toxins that make life miserable for inhabitants:
- Mold emits a strong, musty odor that prevents rooms from smelling fresh.
- Mold causes problems for allergy-sensitive people, as well as those with asthma, making symptoms flare up.
- Mold can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and difficulty breathing.
- Mold toxins can activate long-lasting inflammation and constant cold-like symptoms.
- People with compromised immune systems can get systemic infections of the lungs, skin, or digestive tract.
- In rare cases, mold toxins can cause neurological problems or even death.
- The more prolonged the exposure, the more severe the danger.
Unusually damp homes and offices can be vulnerable to mold invasions even if no water damage has occurred. If you see or smell something that could be mold, get an skillful opinion immediately.
If you want to eradicate mold, the environment where it prospers must first be removed. Water sources have to be dealt with, and any remaining moisture must be thoroughly dried out. Only then can mold removal and remediation start.
Whether a dripping roof, burst pipe, or other entry point, it isn’t enough to curtail the tide. Moisture can soak hidden portions of your home. Without proper cleanup processes, mold will keep coming back to these areas.
Call Paul Davis now if you suspect your home is infested with black mold. Our team analyzes for existence of black mold before removal. You can depend on our contractors to remove black mold quickly. Keep your family safe, schedule a black mold inspection now.